Volunteer Holidays – making a difference
Nowadays, holidays are not only meant for going to different places, hill stations or wildlife destinations. It is very easy to spend several hours in front of TV, watching movies, chatting with friends or get together with family but this will not going to give you all the fun.
Holidays are meant for experiencing new things, grow in different directions, explore more, learn more and enjoy more. If you are going to plan your vacations, try something new this time. Try to make your vacations more memorable in a newer way with some exciting experiences.
Do you really want to spend your quality time in a different way? Would you like to do something different with your holiday and make a difference? Wanna wake up in a beautiful location; lovely sunrises and beautiful sunsets, do exciting activities, make new friends, this fun-packed holiday?
Your choice is perfectly fine if you are interested in all this. This all is possible one way and that is Voluntourism. It is the best way by which you can make your vacations unique and memorable. You can spend your vacations by involving yourself in many interesting activities. You can educate others and learn more things from them.
Volunteer tourism – It is a rapidly growing travel niche market, meeting new people from all around the world, who are really searching for more fun and excitement, different kind of destinations to add extra ordinary experiences in their holidays. More and more people are turning to volunteer tourism abroad and in India. It is a great way of experiencing different cultures and creating long-lasting friendships with people from around the world.
You can go for anything for which you are interested. You can join a small friendly development projects or can work with tribal communities. Here is best opportunity to grasp so many things or can spend your time by helping others. This all can go a long way and bring change in lives of many and yours too. Travelers can spend from a few days to several years in these endeavors. The feeling of accomplishment or joy that you get by lending a helping hand to people can be quite overwhelming.
As a volunteer you can contribute as:
- An educationalist – It is a perfect opportunity for you, if you are interested in teaching. You can’t only teach them but also can make them aware about environment, sanitation and many other general issues. You have opportunity to teach English language to them and make learning enjoyable.
- A healthcare consultant – It is a best option for group of medical students, doctors and nurses where they can utilize their professional experience in best way. You can give best advice for physiotherapy, pharmacy, ayurveda and naturopathy. You can give your precious time to hospitals or rural clinics.
- A self-employment coordinator – As a volunteer you can train kids and their family members and engage them in self help projects. With the help of training programs, try to engage them in different jobs like tailoring, beauty treatment, computer training, English speaking training, interior designing, cooking classes etc.
- A care person for disabled & orphaned children – The love and laughter which you get back in return from the disabled or orphaned children is priceless. It will be like a heaven for them who do not have parental support or have been gone through abuse or difficulties in life. Whether for a short time but you can give them a whole world just by spending your quality time.
- An environmentalist – If you are eco friendly, have love for nature and good science background too then put your passion for nature into practice. You can help by teaching conservation activities right from plantation to landscaping to administration and along with science and technology skills. It will surely make a difference.
- Women Empowerment in India – This is a perfect sector where you can use your skills in a best way. Women empowerment in India is all about gender equality. You can contribute by creating awareness about education, health, finance through which they can develop self-worth and a secured better future for themselves.
- Family Volunteering in India – It will surely give you a truly rewarding experience when you travel together with your loved ones and learn many things by immersing yourself in local and cultural activities. It will strengthen your bonding with each other.
You will be surprised to know that not only you are going to do things in such special way. In fact there are number of celebrities and even political leaders who worked as volunteer and spread awareness among many issues. Like Swachh Bharat to education programs, ban on animal tested cosmetics to adopt pets.
There are number of nonprofit organizations who arrange ethical, inspiring and supported volunteering programs. Their main focus is to create awareness on critical issues like community, development and environmental conservation. With the help of young volunteers they did their best with professional skills trainings, qualifications and work experience.
Volunteer Destinations In India – These are the top 10 places where you get to interact with other people, learn from them, share laughter with them. You will feel good about yourself and your family too.
- ROSE a small self help group in Uttarakhand
- Sadhana Village a care center for intellectually disabled and underprivileged adults. It’s located in a village 30 kilometers from Pune (around four hours from Mumbai).
- Salaam Baalak Trust to support city’s homeless street children in Delhi’s backpacker Paharganj.
- Ladli, means loving girl a small organization that provides vocational training for abused and orphaned children in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- Seva Mandir is an organization that’s been doing development work in rural Rajasthan in the white city of Udaipur.
- The Mandore Guest House is a medical & relief society in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
- Kolkata Sanved uses the therapeutic properties of dance and movement to heal, empower, and rehabilitate survivors of trafficking and violence in Kolkata.
Last but not least the best option of volunteer tourism is if you are going to plan your vacations with some organizations or NGO’s then you have no need to worry about expenses for accommodation and food. You will be given healthy meals, most of which will be traditional Indian. Separate guest house or sharing rooms are the facilities that will be available. You just have to take care of few things like flights, airport taxes, visa charges and insurance.
Important points to keep in mind –
- Travel advisories are monitored
- Copies of all passports, medical and travel insurance
- First – aid kit
- Specific training manual
- Good knowledge of local language
Image Courtesy: paraisoadventures, shutterstock, theincidentaltourist