STAY FIT AND HEALTHY DURING NAVRATRI
Navratri – An auspicious festival of the Hindu is celebrated with lots of enthusiasm and excitement in India. It is celebrated twice a year and both times at the change of season during the spring and autumn equinox. People fast during these nine days. It has been scientifically proven that fasting is very beneficial for our body. Many people also restrict themselves from consuming water on the days of fasting. This no-food-no-water fast is known as Nirjala Vrat.
The motive behind these fasts is not always religious. Many people take advantage of this opportunity and attempt to shed extra kilos. Fasting for a long period can bring some trouble for your health. The most important thing to keep in mind is to fast but in a correct way.
Following these dietary tips will help you fast in a healthy way to and shed those extra pounds this Navratri!
- Do not starve – Fasting doesn’t mean starving yourself. You should take care of your health and eat something in the morning. Health should always be your first priority. Fasting for a long time lead to problems like weakness, acidity and headache. So take care of your health first and enjoy the festival.
- Don’t feast – Fast means eat less or eat a healthy diet but people are not doing it in a correct manner. They are eating more fasting dishes and oily things. Fasting does not mean fried potatoes or pakodas. You have to keep an eye on your diet. Try to avoid those dishes which are low in fiber like sabudana khichdi, kheer and opt for healthier options.
- Small and frequent meals – Fasting does not mean not to eat anything whole day. Plan your day; add small and frequent meals in your schedule. It will help you to maintain your metabolism. Do eat in 2 hours gap as it will help to prevent acidity.
- Drink plenty of liquids – Drink more water as compared to your non fasting days. It is a natural cleanser for your organs and digestive system. It helps to cleanse your toxins out and keep your body hydrated. You can go for lemon water, coconut water, fresh juices and milk. Every individual must consume 2-3 liters water per day.
- Sabudana khichdee or kheer – Don’t take too much oily sabudana tikkies as it is rich source of carbohydrates. You can have sabudana khichdee or kheer
- Avoid onion and garlic – According to our ancestors, Hindus avoid garlic and onion during navratras as it is tamsic and they have to eat only satvik food during fasts. Apart from that it is also scientifically proven that onion and garlic are not much good as they produce a lot of heat in your body.
- Sendha namak – Sendha namak is enriched with potassium and easy to digest. It is not chemically processed. That is why most people use sendha namak during fasts in the form of pure salt.
- Fruit salads – You can have fresh fruits or you can go for fruits salads and chaats to bring in a new taste. It is the best option to control calories. It includes healthy sugar fructose which helps in charging your metabolism.
- Do not take stress – Stress is very bad for your health especially during fasting. It can create problems for your health. Try to avoid stressful situations which worsen your condition. Don’t tire yourself. Take little breaks while working.
- Get enough sleep – It is very difficult to get enough sleep during navratras as people play garba during the night. 8 hour sleep is very necessary to stay fit and healthy. Most of us do not get enough time to sleep during celebration and it affects our physical and mental state.
Negative effects of fasting on your health
- Fluctuation in blood sugar level
- Lower level of energy
Who should avoid fasting?
Diabetic and pregnant woman should avoid this fast. It can cause a drop in the blood sugar levels which is not good for you and yours baby health too.
Fasting for working women
It is very difficult especially for working women to manage proper schedule and hard work while fasting. Handling both things all together can be very tiresome. It is very important to keep yourself active and full of energy. If you have a sitting job, keep eating every 2 hours to prevent acidity as it worsens your troubles. Go for fruits and avoid high calorie food items.
Important tips to keep in mind
- Avoid junk or deep fried food before or after garba. Have light dinner which is high in fiber, carbohydrates and proteins. You can go for fruits, salads or sprouts.
- Try to avoid chilled water during or after garba is it might lead to throat infections.
- Take bath with Luke warm water. It helps to avoid minor body pain and relieves you from tiredness.
With these simple tips to enjoy your Navratri festival and stay fit and healthy..