Most of us have a fanatical love for driving. The way we drive depends on a number of factors such as our mood, the traffic and of course, on our company.
When it is about driving with your infant, it becomes very important to make the journey safe, comfortable and stress-free, for you and your baby’s safety.
If you are one of those who believes in the concept of safe driving, then as soon as you get in your car, you ensure safety. You may get distracted if your child is uncomfortable and crying due to hunger, illness or any other discomfort troubling the toddler. Many studies show that the car crashes are the major causes of injuries and death among children. Thus, it is very important to use a car seat, whether it is a 5 minute or fifty minute’s driving.
It is very important to ensure that you are taking care of your baby’s safety by using the car seat in an appropriate manner. As it has been noticed many times that parents get confused because of the variety of car seats in the market. In fact, after choosing the perfect one, make sure that you are using it appropriately. As many safety seats are used incorrectly, using them for the first time can be tricky. So, don’t forget to read and understand the guidelines properly and install them,if necessary with the help of a trainer.
Don’t make any kind of compromises, as it is about the safety of your baby. A little precaution can reduce the risk of fatal injury.
Here, we are suggesting you a few tips that you must keep in mind while choosing the car seat for your little one.
It is very important to look after each and every aspect while buying the car seat that includes age of your child, size and the type. There are 5 types of car safety seats for babies:
- Infant-only Child Safety Seats
- Rear-facing Convertible Child Safety Seats
- 3-in-1 seats
- Combination Car Seats
- Car Beds
- Infant-only child safety seats –A small portable seat is the best option for your little one, who is 8 or 9 months old. This safety seat is useful for infants up to 22 to 45 pounds. It has a carrying handle and a separate base to use as a stroller system. You can buy more than one base for additional purposes. Try to use it only for travelling, don’t use it for sleeping, feeding, or any other use outside the vehicle.
- Rear-facing convertible child safety seats – This safety seat can be used as a rear facing position in the back seat of your car until your child is 2 years old or until he reaches at the maximum level of height or weight. The best part of this type of seat is,that it can be used in both ways: rear and forward facing.
- 3-in-1 seats – This seat is the best option for the toddlers. It can be used for 3 in 1 purpose. This type of seats are usually bigger in size and can be used longer with the growing age of your toddler. You can transform it as a rear facing, forward facing or as a belt-positioning booster. As they are big in size, so it is important to check whether they fit your car interior while rear facing.
- Car beds – All types of car seats are not necessarily safe for every child, especially who have a premature birth. In such cases, Car beds are a safer option for newborns, underweight babies or preterm babies. It has a wide variety of car safety products, including rear facing and convertible child safety seats.
How to install a car seat properly
- Set the car seat in the back-seat.
- Make sure the base is tight enough.
- Place the harnesses in your rear-facing seat in slots and below your baby’s shoulders.
- Placing a rear-facing seat in the front seat of a vehicle can be harmful for the baby.
- Follow the instructions properly while using a 3-in-1 seat in the rear facing position. Make sure the seat belt is routed through the correct belt path.
- Set the car seat at a perfect angle so that the infant’s head does not flop forward.
- Please contact a certified child passenger safety technician (CPST) while having any kind of trouble. After all, baby’s safety comes first.
How to properly buckle a baby in a car seat
- Dress the baby comfortably.
- Set the seat at a 45-degree angle.
- Make sure baby’s head is secure.
- Use rolled-up blankets if baby slouches.
- If possible, carry some toys.
Make Your Journey Safe & Hassle free
- Manage your timings – Make the journey less stressful for both of you. Give a plenty of time while preparing for any ride.
- Dress appropriately – As there will be a fluctuation in the temperature, so don’t overdress him or her.
- Don’t panic, if the baby is crying – A crying baby can easily distract you. So, don’t panic, just focus on driving. Find some safe place to stop and soothe your little one.
- Take breaks – As sitting too long in a car is not good for the baby’s back. Try to take some little breaks after every 2 hours while travelling on long trips.
- Look after yourself – Long drives are entertaining as well as hectic. So it is very important to be in a good mood while driving. Play your favorite list, keep calm and just focus on driving for the safety of your loved ones.
Happy Journey Kiddo!!!
Image Courtesy: shutterstock